Thursday, November 17, 2011

Day 17!

Day 17: Take a half hour of complete peace & quiet.

Well, the November Project followers, I failed today.

Anyone that has spent more than ten minutes with me probably knows that I hate silence. I find it incredibly awkward. I make small talk with everyone from gas station attendants to the random person that's checking their mailbox at the same time as me. If I spend more than a few minutes near someone, it's pretty likely I'll break the silence.

During my lunch-break today, I had to run to the grocery store. I thought, great, this is the perfect opportunity to complete Day 17. I promised myself I would enjoy the quiet time. After racing through the aisles, twenty minutes in, I already fought breaking the "peace and quiet" by talking to the cart collector as I walked in, commenting to a guy buying Us Weekly, or giving a high five to someone in a Michael Vick shirt (it took everything in me NOT to say something to him!) By the time I was at the cashier, I was CONVINCED it had been thirty minutes, and I made every small talk comment possible, including, "Can you believe how cold out it is?," and "Crazy you guys are open on Thanksgiving!" When I got to the car, I realized it had only been 27 minutes, oops.

This 1/2 hour for me, well almost 1/2 hour, was not peaceful or quiet. It was almost painful for me to stay silent that long. My point today is, sometimes, you have to embrace who you are, and maybe that's what makes everyday extraordinary.

I hope everyone else was more successful at Day 17 than me!

No comments:

Post a Comment