Thursday, November 3, 2011

Day 3!

Day 3:
Send a letter in the mail. The actual mail.

My Top 5 Reasons why I still think Snail Mail > Email
  1. I get ridiculously excited when I get mail that's not an invoice, credit card offer, or another 20% off coupon from bed bath & beyond.
  2. Liberty Bell Stamps: They remind me of home :).
  3. I wouldn't know my grandparents without it: I've never had the privilege of meeting my maternal grandparents. Thanks to the postal service, my family has a book compiled of their love letters. With their dotted I's and crossed T's, their story comes to life. It's the closest I'll ever come to actually hearing their voices.
  4. Handwriting: Today, when most people read my voice, it's usually through Georgia Font or 'Facebook' font. Thinking about the rarity of seeing handwritten word, I find the warmth and personality found in a handwritten letter refreshing.
  5. My mailman: As long as I can remember, we've had the same mailman. I haven't lived in my hometown for six years, but he's one of the only consistencies that remain when I go home. Even if my parent's living room is rearranged, we have new weird neighbors, or I realize I've lost touch with more & more high school friends, Mr. Mailman (which, I've called him since I was 5), has been the same person. Through rain, sleet, and snow, he's always been there and helps make home still feel like home.
So, Day 3 is for you, Mr. Mailman. I hope receiving my letter in the mail next week makes a great friend have an extraordinary November day.

PS- mark your calendar for February 4 --- It's National Thank A Mailman Day! (too bad this isn't the February project)

1 comment:

  1. Holly! You are so FUNNY! I love this, especially the parts about the Liberty Bell and letters being a way to get to know your grandparents.

    What if my grandkids read my emails? They'd be like...uh, why did Grandpa call Grandma "Doggie Pound"???

    ReplyDelete