Monday, November 21, 2011

Day 21!

Day 21: Make a resolution.

I know giving thanks near Thanksgiving is incredibly cliche. Something more Hollyish.

I've noticed a giant clash in my life between being grateful on Thanksgiving for what I have, and worrying about what more I need, and what others need, for Christmas. I'll try and be positive by being grateful for how my life is at this moment, but when I'm Christmas shopping for family members and friends, I only see the things in my life that I don't have.

That steak knife set? I could use one of those.
Those sparkly bandaids? Those are pretty awesome. Why can't my life be more awesome?
That rose-gold watch? My cell-phone makes it so difficult to check the time. I could use a watch.

Really, wanting more is exhausting and completely unsatisfying.

So when I say I'm making a resolution to be more thankful, I'm not just talking about giving thanks in my prayers and occasionally to the people around me on one holiday a year. I want to start living my life, today, where I'm grateful for the lean pocket I'm eating at lunch, the apartment I have to go back to at the end of the day, and the car I drive home in, no matter how many times it breaks down on me, and no matter how much ridicule I get for driving a PT Cruiser. There's no more room for crying about finances, and no more sitting, waiting, wishing.

So even though it's cliche, please don't forget to be thankful for your life. As it is. Right now. Today.




No comments:

Post a Comment